Dino Babers: ‘Best room’ of quarterback depth he’s seen as Syracuse coach

Courtesy of Charles LeClaire | USA TODAY Sports

Babers said that he has already seen improvement from Syracuse's new editions.

Subscribe to our sports newsletter here

Syracuse head coach Dino Babers spoke with the media Wednesday about the ongoing starting quarterback battle, saying that every position is open for competition. The press conference was Babers’ first since March 30, and it came after nearly one month of spring practice.

Entering his sixth season at Syracuse and coming off a 1-10 season, Babers emphasized the Orange’s depth under center. While returning starter Tommy DeVito and Mississippi State transfer Garrett Shrader have received most of the attention, Babers said he has also been impressed with the QB’s behind them.

“I think we’ve got the best room since we’ve been here,” Babers said. “From No. 1 through No. 5, those guys are really something.”

As a redshirt junior last season, DeVito threw for 593 yards and four touchdowns before suffering a season-ending leg injury in a loss against Duke. Shrader enrolled in January after announcing his decision to transfer in late December. The North Carolina native appeared in just four games in 2020 after playing in 10 as the Bulldogs’ QB the year prior.

Sophomores JaCobian Morgan and Dillon Markiewicz also returned after making appearances as true freshmen in 2020. Syracuse added Justin Lamson, a 3-star dual-threat quarterback from California in its 2021 recruiting class, too.

Babers has already seen improvement from SU’s January enrollees, and he said that Lamson struggled against the Orange’s pass rush — including against returning seniors Josh Black and Kingsley Jonathan — early on.

“They got a little better the last six (practices), and then, when they go through summer and we get them back in August, that’s when you’ll see a big difference,” Babers said.

The head coach said the competition across all positions is healthy and is something Syracuse is embracing. In SU’s 10-3 season in 2018 — the only season SU has finished over .500 since Babers arrived in 2016 — competition at the quarterback position helped improve both DeVito and then-starter Eric Dungey, he said.

“That competition is what everyone embraces, and it’s throughout the entire team,” Babers said.

Syracuse released a roster on Wednesday, but the team has yet to announce a depth chart. The Orange are now over halfway through their 2021 spring practice schedule after having their first scrimmage of the spring Saturday in the Carrier Dome.