ducks

Duck: Jordan Muller

Sarah Allam | Illustration Editor

My best D.O. stories are the ones that have never been published. The stories I’ll remember are the late nights, the laughs, the excitement, the wackiness and the friendship. To all the people who have truly believed in my success, the success of the paper and the success of journalism — thank you. You’ve inspired me, and the memories I’ve made will keep me inspired for a long time.

News staff: News is a tough section to do well, and you’ll regret it if you don’t maximize your time. I promise that it’s rewarding when you put everything you have into it. Go out there and tell some stories.

Diana: You’re a positive presence in house and a great reporter too. Keep being you, and I’m excited to see the work you’ll do.

KJ: You’re one of those writers whose byline always means that it’s going to be a good story. I love how willing you are to branch out into other sections, and how willing you are to learn. Hopefully I’ll see you with a News byline, even though I know you’ll be busy doing a great job with Sports.

Ali: You were so many other things, but for some reason when I think of you I just remember you being the designer that randomly wrote about SUNY-ESF. And for some reason, I don’t think that’s ever going to change. See you on the Metro.

McCleary: You’re an incredibly talented writer and reporter, and I’ve been sure of that since we met in our news writing class a few years ago. Keep it up.

Lydia: I too am happy that we’ve become friends. You’re a talented and passionate writer and a good person and I know that will carry you to success wherever you end up.

Molly: I don’t really remember when you started at The D.O., you kind of just showed up. I know you’re the forgotten head ed, but the work you do and the time you put in supports everything everyone does. I’m looking forward to seeing where you go.

Dan: I’ve always enjoyed going out to tell stories with you and can’t wait to see what you do in the future. Thanks for everything.

Ally: You’re an inspirational storyteller, and your kindness and generosity are inspirational too. I can’t wait to see what you put all your energy next.

Maeve: I hope I’m a much cooler and less annoying person than you thought I was the first time we met in the iSchool last year. Even though you’re not a news person, I think journalism needs more people like you. Keep doing the stuff that’s actually cool.

Casey: You’ve always been passionate about covering important issues, and I think that will help you as News Editor. Just remember to keep going.

Amy: It has always a great feeling to walk into News and see that you’re designing. You’re going to kill it as a head ed. Let me know when you’re making Spam musubi!

Mary: You were there from the very beginning, as in the very beginning, as in Jerk. I’m glad you’ve been along for the ride and I hope it’s been worth it for you.

Jessi: Thanks for all the great memories in Syracuse and CA. Hope you’re enjoying the best coast. Hisssssssssssssssssssss.

Kaci: Sorry (not sorry) Trout didn’t go to Philly. Thanks for all the laughs and great times and I hope you have a great semester in New York.

Colleen: I think you have more energy than anyone I’ve ever met, which is a great thing if you want to be a journalist. Your commitment to getting the story and getting the story right is one of the reasons why I think you will go far in your career. You’re a good person, too, and that’s most important.

Sandhya: California gorls forever. You’re by far the coolest person I’ve ever worked with at The D.O., and I’m not just saying that because you’re from the best state. Thanks for all the memories. Let me know when you want to do boba again.

Danny: I’m glad you made the switch from Op to News last spring. I look up to you for your dedication to media, your humility and your thoughts on just about everything. You’ve made me a better journalist, thinker and person.

Aishwarya: There’s little I’ll regret more than not talking to you on the steps before the fair two years ago. I’ve always wanted to be better friends with you, and I guess I’m glad that even though it took like a year, it happened in the end. You are incredibly smart and talented, and your contributions to The D.O. will resonate for long after you’re gone. I’m glad you’re going off to do great things.

Kai: You’re one of the most inspirational storytellers I’ve ever met. Nobody can translate a person’s feelings onto a page better than you, and it’s because you have empathy and a deep dedication to getting the story right. Of everyone, I will never forget working with you. Not because we have the best stories to remember, but you do unforgettable work.

Guti: Your stories are good, but I enjoy reading them more knowing who the person is behind the byline. Thanks for being such a kind and genuine person.

Tomer: I’m glad that the smiling, joking guy you were at open house my freshman year ended up being who you actually are. I remember that every time I turn the corner into Sports.  

Alexa T: I’ll never forget that my first read as a staff writer was with you. I remember that you barely made any changes, and that you told me I was so good I wouldn’t have to work with you next time I came in for a read. I think our read was late at night, and as an in-house staffer I know now why you didn’t want to spend much time with a freshman close to deadline. But that read made me want to keep going at The D.O., so thank you.

Sam F: You’ve made me really dislike Otto and Monopoly, and you know why.

Kathryn: I’m reminded of your humor every time I walk into my apartment see the foot. You’ve done a lot for me, but I hope this is what you’re most proud of.

Sara: You’ve been there for a lot of my D.O. “firsts,” and a lot of the little things you’ve done for me over the years are the things that I associate with you most. You assigned me my first story. You were the first person at The D.O. to yell at me, and you were there when I had my first meltdown in the morgue. You were the first person at The D.O. to take a chance on me and from my first story to my last I’ve tried to make it worth it to you.

The Senate: It’s because of you guys that I’ll never forget my greatest journalism achievement, the Hearthstone article. Thanks for inspiring me to shoot my shot and not be Fake!

Emma, Evan, Hannah and Dayna: You guys know how much I wanted this, even if it meant missing out on making memories with me. Thank you for making Syracuse a special place.

Sources: Your bravery astounds me. Sometimes I forget how hard it is to let someone tell your story. I hope I’ve done work you can respect.

Talia: I guess we *technically* started at The D.O. at the same time, but you’ve only been in the house like 75% of the time I’ve been here, when you count the minutes. But seriously, I’m really glad we ended up sitting together in that graphics class. You’re one of the most genuinely nice people I’ve ever met, and your talent and passion for what you do will make get you far. It makes me so happy that your going after your dreams.  Keep on it.

Leffert: I think you know what I thought of doing reads with you when you were a staff writer. What you might not know is how much your passion and dedication to your job shone through then and has shone through ever since. I’m really glad that we’ve become friends and will always remember the great memories we’ve made in and out of work. Thanks for everything.

Kennedy: We started at The D.O. together so I guess it’s appropriate that we’re leaving together too. Thanks for putting up with me these last two years. You’ve truly been one of my best pals here, and I’m so proud to say that I worked with you covering some of the craziest things I probably ever will. Keep being the sunny person you are, and I’ll miss you when you’re gone.

Sam: There was one time sophomore year, during Winter Break, when I got some scoop about a frat or something. I was really hyped to publish the story, but you did a read on it and told me I needed to dig deeper. I was initially a little upset. But that quickly turned into respect, especially after I got more answers, and that moment is probably something I’ll take with me my entire life. You don’t need me to tell you I’ve always looked up to you. You’ve taught me more than I could ever learn in any class and made me a better journalist. Thanks for all the memories.

Haley: You’ve really been there since Daily Orange Day 1. I know I knew that day just how cool, smart and genuine a person you were. Maybe the fact that you were one of the first people from California that I met at Syracuse had something to do with it, but I think it’s just because that’s who you are. Knowing you for so long, at least in some capacity, has made it much easier to reflect on how much you have grown as a writer, a dreamer and a friend. It also makes it much easier to appreciate just how lucky I am for you to have left a mark on my life. Now, on to the next chapter.

Grandma & Grandpa: Thank you for being so passionate about supporting me. I love that I have open arms so close by, and people that are so willing to go out of their way for me. I could not be here without you.

Mom, Dad & Chloe: I know it’s hard to understand what I do all the time, but you three have been supportive no matter what. I always know  but I’m working on the bigger story that I’ll get a text or an email congratulating me on my hard work. That always means the world. Thank you for always supporting me no matter what I want to do and no matter how far I want to go. All of this is because of you and I am forever thankful.