Music

Taking Back Sunday is coming to central New York. Here are 3 things to know about them.

Courtesy of Liz Kenny

The band is comprised of five people. The only person who has been in the band since it started in 1999 is rhythm guitarist Eddie Reyes.

Taking Back Sunday, a popular melodic hardcore band hailing from Long Island, will play August 18 at the Saranac Brewery in Utica. Here’s what you need to know about them.

Taking Back Sunday has been active for 18 years

It first formed in 1999, but didn’t release its first album until 2002. “Tell All Your Friends” came after signing with Victory Records in 2001. Some of the band’s more well-known songs, including “Cute Without the ‘E’ (Cut From the Team)” and “You’re So Last Summer,” came off this album.

The band released an album in 2016

The 12-track “Tidal Wave” met generally favorable reviews, many critics acknowledging the band’s more grown-up tone and subject matter, especially as compared to their early work. Most of their inspiration comes from other emo acts, but “Tidal Wave” also was influenced by Tom Petty and Bryan Adams.

The band has gone through many lineup changes

The only member who has stayed with the band since 1999 is rhythm guitarist Eddie Reyes. The five-piece band is currently fronted by Adam Lazzara, who joined in 2001 with drummer Mark O’Connell. Lead guitarist John Nolan and bassist Shaun Cooper played with the band in its earlier years and rejoined the band in 2010.