Tennis

Syracuse edges Clemson, 4-3, with Tritou’s tiebreak

Courtesy of Syracuse Athletics

Sophomore Maria Tritou clinched the victory for the Orange, defeating Sydney Riley after all of the other matches had concluded.

Maria Tritou’s tiebreak in No. 4 singles clinched Syracuse’s (5-7, 2-3 Atlantic Coast) 4-3 win over Clemson (5-8, 2-4) on Friday at Drumlins Country Club.

The match started well for the Orange, sweeping the doubles point behind wins from Anna Shkudun and Dina Hegab (6-4) and Tritou and Nicole Mitchell (6-3) in second and third doubles, respectively. Gabriela Knutson and Miranda Ramirez got shutout in No. 1 doubles (0-6).

Going into singles up a point, SU eked out the match win, taking three of the six matches. Ramirez continued her singles dominance, winning over Clemson’s Fernanda Navarro (6-1, 6-1) in No. 2 singles. The freshman is 10-1 in her singles matches and hasn’t lost since Jan. 22.

Hegab picked up a win (7-5, 6-4) in No. 6 singles over Ally Miller-Krasilnikov. Tritou snatched victory for herself, and the Orange, defeating Sydney Riley (3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-5 tiebreak)) after all of the other matches had concluded.

Shkudun and Knutson’s woes dragged on. The Tigers’ Ayan Broomfield defeated Shkudun (6-1, 6-0) in No. 1 singles. Knutson also dropped straight sets (4-6, 6-7) to Marie-Alexandre Leduc in No. 3 singles. The two are a combined 2-7 in singles against ACC opponents. Libi Mesh dropped her No. 5 singles match to Constanza Gorches, who won handedly (6-4, 6-3).

Syracuse has over a week until it takes on Georgia Tech next Sunday at Drumlins Country Club.