State

SU Chancellor Kent Syverud steps down as co-chair of Central New York Regional Economic Development Council

New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo appointed Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud as co-chair of the Central New York Regional Economic Development Council in April 2014.

Chancellor Kent Syverud concluded his service with the Central New York Regional Economic Development Council (REDC) after two years, Syracuse University announced Thursday.

Syverud was appointed as co-chair of the REDC by New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo in April 2014 — four months after he assumed the position of chancellor. He served alongside co-chair Robert Simpson, president of CenterState CEO, according to an SU News release.

“My time as co-chair has been a wonderful opportunity to meet so many great people across the region,” Syverud said in the release.

During Syverud’s time as co-chair, central New York was awarded more than $580 million in economic development resources by New York state, $500 million of which was part of the governor’s Upstate Revitalization Initiative.

Syverud said now is the right time for someone new to step in and help lead the council, citing SU’s Academic Strategic Plan, Campus Framework, West Campus projects and the pursuit of other new capital investments at SU as reasons for him to step down.